Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Great Wall of China

I was sitting right outside of my house on the date of 220 BCE when I heard the news. Qin Shi Huangdi, our first emperor that I mentioned earlier, started the biggest engineering project that the world has ever seen, so it's pretty important! It really shows how smart the Chinese can be, and how rich our culture is. Anyway, he's building what is called "The Great Wall". Basically, it's this enormous wall that's built using wood and soil mix that turns really solid. The point of it is to keep the Mongols out in the North and to symbolize the unification of China. I heard a rumor that's going around that the purpose of this huge wall is to keep us in (which is kind of scary)!
In my opinion, it's a nice idea, but the way he's going about it is all wrong. The living conditions of it are awful; one million people are working on  it, and a fourth of them have died.
I hope that he puts an end to these horrible working conditions, but my hopes aren't high!
Watch towers on the Great Wall of China

No comments:

Post a Comment