Saturday, November 13, 2010

Charlemagne

Today, I met up with my Charlemagne. We chatted for a little while, and here's how it went:


Me: Hey there, Charlemagne! Mind if I ask a few questions?
Charlemagne
Charlemagne: I have a little bit of time, so go for it!
Me: Let's start with talking about you. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
Charlemagne: In 768, I became king of the Franks. Did I mention that I'm Charles Martel's grandson? I had a cool grandpa. Anyway, I reunited most of the old Roman empire! In the west, that is. But it was quite the feat; I was fighting often! In 799, my man Pope Leo II asked me for some help against some folks in Rome. I took them down, and he was pretty grateful to me. So on Christmas Day in 800, I was crowned Emperor of the Romans! This was pretty special because I am a big-time Christian. 
Me: Ah, how nice! Tell me about your empire!
Charlemagne: I really, above all, wanted a united Christian empire. Whenever I conquered new lands, I made sure people converted. If they didn't, well, they soon found out that they should have. As for how I ruled, I appointed friends and nobles to rule their little local areas. Of course, I checked in on how things were going frequently. In addition to all of this, I made large advances in the education department. I knew that I had to set a good example for my people, and I could read. I myself looked into Latin learning and founded schools so we could have an educated empire.
Me: Well, you've just done so much! I'm impressed. What were some long-lasting impacts of your empire, would you say?
Charlemagne: I spread Christianity far and near, for one thing. I also blended various cultures together to form our own new traditions! Not to mention what I did for education. My government was solid.
Me: Good answer. Thank you for your time!


Charlemagne unified the Christian empire. He died in 814. 

No comments:

Post a Comment